Archive for the ‘Power Meter’ Category
After getting a CurrentCost energy monitor a week ago I decided it was time to get some useful data out of it. I have 3 phase power so I wanted a tool which would create graphs for each of the phases along with combined total data. The solution to my problems would have to be custom coded and I also wanted an application which could be used cross platform as I regularly use both Windows and OSX.
My choice was to use Adobe Flex as it can provide some nice looking graphs and I have been meaning to do more work using the Flex in flash player or using Adobe Air technology to create a desktop application.
Im creating an application which I can give back to the community which have been developing applications already for the CurrentCost meter. So I decided to use a very simple architecture for this first demo application which uses a simple client server model.
I decided to get some logging data from the CurrentCost (cc128) model which I have but I was having issues with getting data from the /dev/ttyUSB0 port at which it was attached using the pl2303 drivers for usb to serial.
A simple cat of /dev/ttyUSB0 lead to just gibberish been output on the terminal. Poking around at the system I found that the cable im using has the pl2303x chip set which can have driver issues with some older kernel modules. There are patchs for the older kernal modules which stop this device been picked up as the older incompatible pl2303 (see here). The real cause of my problems was the serial port settings which I was able to resolve by using minicom to set the right settings for the port.
The cc128 uses 57600 bps 8N1
You can use the minicom application to set this and then using cat /dev/ttyUSB0 will work fine for you.
Ill add another update later once I start logging the data. Plan is to be able to log all data to mysql DB, create a RRD file at the same time for some simple graphs and also allow a real time feed of the application in the form of an AJAX web client I think.
On a note for anyone who needs to factory reset there CurrentCost energy monitor you can just hold down any 2 of the buttons when powering up the device and it will reset everything to factory defaults.
For a while now I have been looking at different products which can provide an insight into electrical energy usage with a realtime display and preferably a link to a computer to provide logging, graphing and analysis. Just when I though I would be building my own with some current induction clamps I came across www.currentcost.co.uk which provides a energy monitoring device which can be plugged into a computer using usb port (Serial over USB connection).
I ordered the device after emailing the company and discussing my needs and figuring out what I would need to monitor a 3 phase power connection which I have at the house. The currentcost setup is really simple it is a basic induction loop in the form of a cable clamp which is placed around the power cables in your meter box and connected to a transmitter box. The receiver is a nice display which can store historical data and show current energy usage and give a guide cost of the usage.
I think this device is a very cool idea as it also the basic user to get an idea of whats wasting electricty even when they are asleep at night and for the more advanced user it also provides access to data every 6 seconds and monitoring of up to 10 individual devices through the base station. The device allows you to see how much a device uses by showing your the changed usage when you switch something on like your dishwasher.
I have only been using the device for a few hours now and im really liking it already, Spotting lots of devices which are left on all the time wasting power and costing extra for no reason. I can see loads of usage for this and will be creating a few applications for this device.